Rentboy.com Owner Pleads Guilty to Promoting Prostitution

Rentboy.com Owner Pleads Guilty to Promoting Prostitution

BROOKLYN — The former owner of Rentboy.com pleaded guilty Friday to promoting prostitution.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert Levy accepted Jeffrey Hurant's plea and that of parent company Easy Rent Systems Inc. to money laundering..

"I'm guilty because I agreed to accept payment with advertisers and promoted their exchange of sexual activity for a fee," Jeffrey Hurant, who was CEO of the company, said at the federal courthouse in Brooklyn this morning.

Hurant, as part of a plea deal, agreed not to appeal the case in exchange for a maximum two-year prison sentence.

If he appeals his sentence, he could face up to five years. He also could get three years of supervised release, a maximum fine of $290,000.

Easy Rent Boy Systems Inc. faces a five-year maximum probation, a $500,000 fine at minimum and up to twice its value at maximum for the guilty plea to money laundering. The company will not be allowed to appeal.

Hurant and Easy Rent Systems previously pleaded not guilty over the charges.  

Activist William Dobbs, who attended today's hearing, told XBIZ that "after 19 years of operating openly, Rentboy.com was raided and turned into a federal crime."

"The war on sexual civil liberties continues, thanks to the feds in Brooklyn and their boss, Attorney General Loretta Lynch," he said.  

In the indictment, prosecutors said that male escorts paid at least $59.95 per month and up to several hundred dollars to advertise on Rentboy.com, which generated more than $10 million from 2010 to 2015.

Before authorities shut the website and offices down, Rentboy.com reportedly lured about 500,000 unique visitors each day.

Hurant charged advertisers up to about $300 per ad, according to the indictment. Advertisers were encouraged to publish their penis size, build, indicate whether they had foreskin and whether they preferred to have safe sex or bareback sex.

The Rentboy.com domain recently changed hands after it was seized by the government. Today, the Rentboy.com site offers click-through links.

The case has had many critics who have accused the government of meddling in their personal sex lives.

Numerous media outlets also have blasted the government’s prosecution of Hurant.

In an editorial, the New York Times said prosecutors weren’t justified shutting down "a company that provided sex workers with a safer alternative to street walking or relying on pimps."

Hurant is due back in court on Feb. 2 to learn his fate at a sentencing hearing.

Pictured: Federal authorities outside of Rentboy.com's offices during raid several years ago

Related:  

Copyright © 2025 Adnet Media. All Rights Reserved. XBIZ is a trademark of Adnet Media.
Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission is prohibited.

More News

Proposed New Hampshire AV Bill Appears to Violate Constitution

A bill in the New Hampshire state legislature, aimed at requiring adult sites to age-verify users in that state, contains a provision that seemingly contradicts the Supremacy Clause in Article VI of the U.S. Constitution.

AEBN Publishes Report on Fetish Trends

AEBN has published a report on fetish categories from its straight and gay theaters.

Online Child Protection Hearing to Include Federal AV Bill

A House subcommittee will hold a hearing next week on a slate of bills aimed at protecting minors online, including the SCREEN Act, which would make site-based age verification of users seeking to access adult content federal law.

Industry Photographer, 'Payout' Founder Mike B Passes Away

Longtime industry photographer and publisher Michael Bartholomey, known widely as Mike B, passed away Saturday.

FSC Announces 2025 Board of Directors Election Nominees

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has announced the nominees for its 2025 Board of Directors election.

AdultHTML Launches Black Friday Web Design, Development Promo

AdultHTML has launched its annual Black Friday/Cyber Monday promo for web design and development, running through Dec. 5.

Canada Exempts Online Adult Content From 'CanCon' Quotas

The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) has updated its broadcasting regulatory policies, exempting streaming adult content from “made in Canada” requirements that apply to other online material.

Creator Law Firm 'OnlyFirm' Launches

Entertainment attorney Alex Lonstein has officially launched OnlyFirm.com for creators.

German Court Puts Pornhub, YouPorn 'Network Ban' on Hold

The Administrative Court of Düsseldorf has temporarily blocked the State Media Authority of North Rhine-Westphalia (LfM) from forcing telecom providers to cut off access to Aylo-owned adult sites Pornhub and YouPorn.

FSC: NC Law Invalidating Model Contracts Takes Effect December 1

The Free Speech Coalition (FSC) has issued a notice that North Carolina's Prevent Exploitation of Women and Minors Act goes into effect on December 1.

Show More